Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday Cooking Class: Hotteok

Writing about Korean food in my last post makes me craving for Korean snacks. Since there is no way I can make my own version of tteobokki, I look for hotteok recipe and found one in Bahasa here.

Pancake:
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of warm mater
2 table spoon of sugar
2 tea spoon of yeast (for people reside in Indonesia, you can use Fermimpan)
½ tea spoon of salt
1 table spoon of cooking oil

Filling (mix all the ingredients below):
½ cup of brown sugar or palm sugar
1 table spoon of cinnamon powder

First, you mix all the pancake's ingredients except flour into one and stir until the sugar is melted. Then add the flour and knead until the dough is well-mixed. Leave it aside for approximately one hour for the yeast to do it's magic. 

Once the dough's size expand to twice of it's former size, take small part of it and flatten it with your hand (or with a rolling pin if you like, but do note that you'll need to cover the rolling surface with some flour since the dough is very sticky; if you do it by hand, just put some cooking oil on your palm). Put 1 tea spoon of the filling mixture right in the middle of the flatten dough, and wrap it up into a ball. 

Put a non-sticky pan into medium heat and add some cooking oil to it. Flatten your ball-form hotteok and fry it. Continue to flatten it while frying until golden brown. 
My first attempt to make hotteok doesn't went really smooth, since I'm using a kind of dorayaki pan instead of small non-sticky pan. The result is my hotteok is not flat enough. It's kinda thick for hotteok, but the taste is almost similar to the one I had in Seoul. That'll do to cure some of my #SeoulFever ;)

the result: only 6 pieces of hotteok worth photographed
melting brown sugar inside with the smell of cinnamon
When I search for this recipe, I note that most of the recipe include walnut or other type of peanut. But as I remembered, the one I tried before is also the one without any nut, so I'm following this recipe. Nevertheless, I will definitely try to make some with walnut to see how it tastes. Hopefully next time it will be flat enough to look like an original hotteok.

No comments:

Post a Comment